One of my co workers brought in a vegetarian recipe, and i tweaked it a little bit to make it un-vegetarian 🙂 Mostly because I wanted to use my sisters grass-fed beef from her farm. Her cows are so happy! Recipe is below – it is a perfect mix of sweet & spicy!
Spicy Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 medium onions, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 lbs ground beef from pyma love farm cows
- 3 medium/large sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- pinch of salt
- 1tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 jar (24 oz) mild salsa
- 2 cans (15-19oz) black beans – use liquid (I used one can of bush’s bourbon brown sugar beans & 1 bush’s black bean fiesta)
- Spicy Hot Sauce to Taste
- 1/2-1 bottle of bourbon/pumkpin beer (to reach desired consistency)
Stovetop: In 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until soft – about 4 minutes. Cook beef in a separate pan & drain fat. Stir in all remaining ingredients to garlic and onion pot except black beans. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and cook 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Add beans, cook 5 minutes or until heated through.
Crock Pot: Saute onion and garlic as above. Place in crockpot. Brown ground beef, drain fat and add to crockpot. Put all ingredients in crock pot and cook on low setting 6-8 hours.
Can serve with cheese, tortilla chips, saltines, etc.
**Please note this recipe can be made vegetarian! Just exclude the meat 🙂