I have been wanting to make homemade almond milk for FOREVER! Unfortunately, I never invested in a nut milk bag, and I thought it would be too time consuming. Now that I have one…well, it does take a few days to make… but it’s pretty easy. But messy. Regardless, I would make this again. And again. Because it is delicious, and creamy, and vanilla-ey… and almost tastes like liquid ice cream. I think next time I am going to experiment with a few different flavors and sweeteners… maybe try a chocolate almond milk??
- 1 cup of almonds (I bought mine from the whole foods bulk section)
- 2-4 cups water
- 1/2 vanilla bean pod (or 1 tsp vanilla extract) – I bought my vanilla bean pods from whole foods
- 1/2 tsp salt
- optional: sweetener to taste (honey, date paste, stevia, maple syrup)
- Soak almonds in water for 1-2 days
- After almonds have been soaking, drain and rinse
- add almonds to blender with 2-4 cups of water (2 cups =more creamier, 4 cups=thinner, but more yield)
- blend almonds & water for 2-3 minutes
- place nut bag over top a bowl and pour almond mixture into it
- squeeze. and SQUEEZE that bag until there is no more liquid in it. You should only have leftover almond pulp (which you can make almond meal/flour – see hot-to here)
- Pour liquid into a jar/container (I used a tall mason jar)
- split vanilla bean & scrape out insides – add to almond milk (or just add vanilla extract)
- add in sweetener, if you would like (I used stevia) – make sure to add a little bit at a time & taste test
- shake all ingredients up and enjoy! Lasts for about a week in the fridge.
Looks wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.
ive never been able to figure this out! thank you so much for the instructions
You are welcome! I hope yours turns out great!