I am not going to write much in terms of what oils/vitamins I took, as it has stayed the same as the first few days, except for what i started on day 5 after my bandages were taken off. My boyfriend took me to my first surgeon follow-up appointment – I had to sit in the backseat of the car on the way to the surgeon because I wasn’t sure if I could bend my leg yet. Below are a few pictures of what my knee looked like 5 days post-op -the swelling is not too bad, my leg is completely straight and i have really great flexion already.
Day 5: 1st visit to the Surgeon
- Arrive at surgeon’s office with a list of questions
- Nurse comes in, asks a few questions and took off my bandages
- Bruising on the right side of my knee and shin bone + behind my knee (see below for behind my knee – the bottom part is my thigh, the picture is kind of confusing)
- Shin feels like someone threw a huge brick at it
- Doctor says knee looks pretty normal (excuse the dr suess socks/slipper- it’s ZERO degrees here in ohio & I just wanted to be warm + I just put on whatever was the easiest to get on my foot :))
- I requested a refill on the pain medicine + a handicap parking pass + my physical therapy prescription
- Nurse came back in, put a new wrap around my leg, and re-adjusted my brace. I can bend my knee up to 90 degrees!
- Nurse gave me my old wrap, which I washed – I can alternate wraps now.
- My hamstring also started twitching later in the day – I called the nurse, who said that my hamstring was just getting used to part of it not being there anymore.
- Homemade antibiotic – melaluca, oregano, flu oil blend: 2 drops in an empty capsule, 1x/day
- Calcium & magnesium: 1 each,3x a day
- Pain medicine: 4th day, i was taking 1 every 2 hours. The 5th day, I started weaning off – taking 1 every 2-4 hours. It really depends on the person and how much pain you are in. You can start to take Aleve instead (up to 5 a day), but check with your doctor.
- For the twitching hamstring: basil
- Day 5, applied directly to my knee: spray mix of frankincense, Helichrysum & lavender + 1-2 drops: lemongrass (for pain/repair), white fir (for inflammation) (or melaluca, eucalyptus or rosemary – find which one works best for you), clove, wintergreen and a sports oil blend. I applied peppermint last to drive all of the oils deeper.
- This might sound funny, but I have been talking to my knee the whole time! I tell it how great it is doing, how amazing it looks, i tell it thank you for healing, that i am so grateful for it… it sounds funny, but i truly believe in the power of positivity. If you don’t believe it, check this out – so many people have done this experiment + it is proven that energy, whether positive or negative, affects water. and guess what – our bodies are made up of 75% water! So you better believe I’m talkin’ to my knee! I might even sing to it later ;).
The information I have provided is not intended to be used in place of professional medical advice. This is information that I have gathered on my own through a variety of sources, and if you decide to use/apply any of the ideas from my site, you are taking full responsibility for your actions. This information is not meant to diagnose or to treat any medical condition. Please consult with your primary care physician holistic doctor to diagnose/advise of any medical condition if you have any questions. I am not liable for any damages or negative consequences resulting from any action by any persons reading or following the information on this site.